How to Perform a QuickBooks Rebuild
There are four reasons you may need to perform a reload of QQube:
- There is a discrepancy between the data in QuickBooks and your custom report
- You have merged two accounts in the QuickBooks Chart of Accounts
- You have performed a Rebuild in QuickBooks
- You have upgraded QuickBooks to a new year’s version (e.g. 2019 to 2020)
Reason 1 is the most common. If we have determined that your QuickBooks data needs to go through a Rebuild process, please follow these steps. All of this can and should be done by a technical person on your team. The instructions are as follows:
- Perform a Verify and Rebuild of your QuickBooks Company File(s).
- This should be performed ON THE SERVER or HOSTED MACHINE where the QB file is stored. You will need to be in Single User Mode.
- Run a Verify first – but note this doesn’t do ANYTHING to fix your file
- IMPORTANT for versions prior to 2018 – if you see ANY reference to an error with “MasterKey encryption” – STOP EVERYTHING and contact QuickBooks support and ask for Intuit Data Services. Proceeding with a Rebuild will likely make your file so corrupt as to be unrecoverable.
- Ideally you will perform this first on a restored backup copy as a test. Here are some helpful guidelines, published by a trusted QuickBooks expert in our network: https://blog.quickbooksusers.com/quickbooks/how-to-rebuild-a-quickbooks-file/
- Perform a “Portable Copy Round Trip”
- This step may not be required, but it’s good housekeeping. Especially if you have lots of DB File Fragments. (Open your file, hit F2 on your keyboard to open the Product Info Window – you’ll see how many DB File Fragments are listed. If more than 9, please proceed with this step.)
- After rebuilding enough times to get zero errors, follow these steps to both create and then restore the Portable Copy. (Rename your current file by adding the word “Archive” to the file name so you don’t lose it.) This process reindexes the data, reduces database file fragments, and helps with stability.
- Reload the QQube. You have two options: (these features are only available on QQube 6.X and higher)
- OK to run this during the work day? (e.g. your file isn’t that big and there isn’t a lot of activity happening in QB that day)
- Let the server do it overnight
If you have any questions, or want us to perform this task for you on a scheduled basis, please read more about our Report & Support Plans or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trackback from your site.